Dover's Official Armed Forces Day event...
- 18 June 2012 15:51... will be the weekend before the national Armed Forces Day over the weekend of the 23rd and 24th June - next weekend.
In Pencester Gardens - Free entry. Veterans of HM Armed Forces will be made particularly welcome.
We are extending the times slightly with a later end time so it will be from 10am to 5pm both days.
Once again we have a great line-up of entertainment over the weekend including, among others:
The Swingtime Sweethearts
The Jive Aces
Cody 'Boogy Boy' Lee
Compere: Mickey Driver
All the catering will be arranged 1940's NAAFI re-en actors with a genuine 1940's NAAFI wagon serving teas etc.
Booked in is a particularly interesting display of World War 2 German armour and weapons, something we have not had before. These were the lads who were at the tattoo for the fun day and attracted a lot of attention.
In all the confirmed bookings of military vehicles is the most we have ever had, but we have been promised even more!! If they all turn up the park will be jam packed, a problem I am looking forward to having.
The Sea Cadets and Army Cadets will be attending for the first time alongside our usual Marine and Air Cadets.
The Wings Appeal, Help for Heroes and the Royal British Legion will be collecting.
The weekend will open with a parade of standards. With the MoD being the major sponsor for the third year we have our MP, Charlie Elphicke, opening the event and receiving the standards.
Other sponsors of this year's commemorations include:
Dover College (new sponsor)
WJ Farrier & Sons
Coombe Valley Transport
The Accommodation Shop
Regency Independent Financial Advisers
Dover Town Council
Dover District Council
County Councillor Nigel Collor
County Councillor Gordon CowanLast edited by BarryW at 15:53 on 18 Jun 2012
- 18 June 2012 15:58wondered when you would put that up barry, was about to do a thread myself.
looks like a great line up and good to see more than a few sponsors in these difficult times.
was it last year that a polish chap walking past saw you struggling to put things up and stayed on to help?
- 18 June 2012 16:27sounds like a good weekend.stress
when you wake up
screaming and you
realise you haven't
yet fallen asleep.
- 18 June 2012 16:29LOL Howard- That was the USO man who had the problem and used to pay passing Poles and others some cash to help him out.
The USO (American) will not be there this year, replaced by the NAAFI wagon (British).
Yes, we have a good line-up of sponsors most of whom came on board for the 11.11 event, we carried over their sponsorship to the weekend.
- 18 June 2012 16:41Here is a link to a tribute to HMQ by The Swingtime Sweethearts and the Jive Aces for the Jubilee.....
Just to wet the appetite...
- 20 June 2012 18:03Just bringing this up to the top....
Been receiving 3 to 4 new last minute enquiries/bookings a day this week. Better than I have experienced for previous events. I have even had to say no to people who would give us a problem with certain regular supporters or pre-booked exhibitions/stands etc.
Let us hope all those who say they are coming do come....
- 20 June 2012 18:18Yes indeed a great line up there Barry, you always put on a great show over that weekend, something for everyone.
Will you be doing your Richard Gere impersonation this time?
- 20 June 2012 18:37LOL Colette, no I wont be wearing a uniform this year....
- 20 June 2012 18:49WHPS will be there Barry - small marquee, some display boards, finds, photos, Sarah, Mandy and myself. Should be good weekend, looking forward to it. Finger's crossed for the weather.
- 20 June 2012 18:52Ah!!! Barry.
- 22 June 2012 14:26
- 22 June 2012 14:33Just so we dont disappoint the girls, here is one of BarryW himself complete with uniform from a previous year.
Great uniform and BarryW isnt too bad either....lol!!
Interesting to see them doing that Howard. Yes most definitely a howling wind about...very strong indeed.Last edited by PaulB at 14:35 on 22 Jun 2012email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 22 June 2012 15:00Good pictures there guys spotted a lot of activity as I went past pencester today, being made ready for tomorrow definately very windy.
- 22 June 2012 16:34
- 22 June 2012 17:59Ah!!! Thanks Pauli for that pic of Richard Gere oops! I mean BarryW, doesn't he scrub up well
Howard, those swingboats bring back a lot of happy childhood memories, I loved them as a kid
- 23 June 2012 06:07Well, we are all set.
Friday evening the park looked a lot 'fuller' than Friday evening previous years and there are lot more to arrive Saturday morning.
Hope to see many of your there....
- 23 June 2012 06:30The big day for BarryW's weekend has arrived. Hope it all goes very well.
Will lock this thread at the top to catch the eye now.
Nigel winding up the oul air raid siren in previous years.
- 23 June 2012 08:20The weather looks pretty good, for today anyway - overnight doesn't look too clever though.
If Jean feels well enough after her Haemo session, we'll be down later.
- 23 June 2012 08:53Best wishes Barry and Crew I am sure it will be as good if not better than previous years. See you down there later in the day.
- 23 June 2012 11:06you could hear the "swingtime sweethearts" well before reaching pencester gardens with their wonderful close harmony singing.
the weekend would not be the same without them.
a good display of military vehicles, certainly up on last year
barry was clearly delighted with the numbers considering it had only been open about 20 minutes when i got there.
open until 5 today and tomorrow.