Following the end of term, a fun fortnight of events for all the family has been brought together by Up On The Downs, working with a range of other partner organisations. A range of events over the first few days of the holiday alone includes:
- Follow The Flow – on Wednesday 25 July, from 10am-11.30am, from the Kearsney Abbey car park, (by the café), come for a walk to discover the spring source of the River Dour with the White Cliffs Countryside Partnership
- Follow The Flow, Pop-Up River Lab – on Wednesday 25 July, from 2pm-4.30pm, on Barton Path, Dover, discover the freshwater wildlife that depends on the chalk stream water of the River Dour with the WCCP
- Pebble Adventures at Dover Beach - on 25 July, from 6.30pm-7.30pm, follow the River Dour with the Green Gang from Pencester Gardens to the beach, where you can discover the pebbles and explore the flotsam and jetsam
- Family Rock Pooling – on Wednesday 25 July, from 3.30pm-5.30pm, at the Lower Leas Coastal Park in Folkestone, learn how to safely handle marine animals and how to identify them
- Elms Vale Survival Skills Event – on Thursday 26 July from 10am-1pm, at Elms Vale Recreation Ground, learn basic survival skills, campfire and shelter building, and camouflage skills, (booking required)
- Discover the Dour – on Friday 27 July, from 10am-12 noon and 1pm-3pm, join Up on the Downs in Pencester Gardens to become a River Dour nature detective and play river bingo
- Western Heights Open Evening – on Saturday 28 July, from 6pm-9pm, enjoy an evening opportunity to visit the Drop Redoubt presented by the Western Heights Preservation Society
- The Last Jedi, Open Air Cinema Event at Fort Burgoyne – on Saturday 28 July, from 7pm, (film starts at sunset), watch this blockbuster film in the atmospheric setting at Fort Burgoyne. Entry by ticket.
Up On the Downs is a Heritage Lottery funded Landscape Partnership Scheme that works with partners and communities to celebrate and conserve the wonderful landscape and heritage in the Dover and Folkestone area. It is made up of a range of partner organisations, and is based at Dover District Council. For more information, please see the Up On The Downs website.