Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Rubbish. The problem is that we have in the UK 2/3 of the population (if we include pensions) beholden to the state for some part of their 'income'.

The plan with Universal Credit is to combine payments for
    Child Tax Credit
    Housing Benefit
    Income Support
    income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
    income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    Working Tax Credit
    to one payment rather than the present farce of people finding that their Housing Benefit has been stopped because their Income Support went up while their eligibility for Working Tax Credit changed and non of the issuing offices knew what the other was doing in real time.

The present system was ridiculously stupid with the system giving with one hand and taking away with the other except there were SIX hands involved!

Rolling out the system will inevitably throw up problems. Any change does because with the best will in the world one can't design a system to cover ALL eventualities from day one. This is why Windows 10, which is a lot less clunky than the system most of us started with, still needs updates.

An example of this would be women fleeing an abusive partner who wish to claim benefits might find that all the necessary paperwork is at the home they have fled. Previously their 'local office' would have their records and it could be easily sorted. Under UC they would have to start again with the application.

Having found out about this from the CAB (of which I'm a trustee) I've got 'our' Charlie getting it sorted. It wasn't some sort of wicked anti-wimmin design feature as one person claimed to me. It just needed tweaking.

end link