Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

THe UKIP policy seems very close to the policy adopted by the French Government, and it's a policy I am uncomfortable with in as much as it seems intolerant of other people's beliefs. I appreciate that it's nothing to do with Islamic faith, but since we live in a supposedly multicultural society, then surely we have to permit immigrant cultures to wear the clothes of their culture. I do agree that in Government buildings and on the request of Police Officers to do so, there should be a requirement to remove the veil, but by and large are we not saying to people who live here that you are welcome in Great Britain providing we choose what you can wear? This seems a fundamentally flawed line of thinking that may be, as Maggie says, racist.

I have to say, though, that it works both ways. I am mindful of the British Airways employee who was sacked for wearing a crucifix whilst wearing her uniform, and that strikes me as equally wrong. Racial equality means tolerance of people of ALL creeds, colours and sex, not just for immigrants; I am bound to say that I believe this has been forgotten in this country, and the worst offenders for forgetting this are the Equal Rights Commission themselves who seem to regard themselves as merely guardians of ethnicity.....not the case at all.

A couple of points from Maggie's post that need raising:

1. Dr Russell - dead??? I hope not, I have an appointment with her next week!
    2. The thing about mini skirts.........surely it depends on who the wearer is. If it's Angelina Jolie, then your point about why can't men wear blindfolds is valid; if it's Jo Brand, then why hasn't legislation banning them been introduced?

end link