Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

From the BBC 'While the particular timing has surprised some in Downing Street, Lord Geidt's discomfort in the job has been evident for a while. Just last month he had said in a report that it was a legitimate question to ask if Boris Johnson had breached the ministerial code by breaking Covid laws.

But, as Lord Geidt put it, the code's "author and guardian" is Mr Johnson. The prime minister hadn't sought an investigation from Lord Geidt into whether he had, and was of the view that he hadn't.

Lord Geidt said: "I have attempted to avoid the independent adviser offering advice to a prime minister about a prime minister's obligations under his own ministerial code. If a prime minister's judgement is that there is nothing to investigate or no case to answer, he would be bound to reject any such advice, thus forcing the resignation of the independent adviser. Such a circular process could only risk placing the ministerial code in a place of ridicule."'

Can't say I follow that reasoning - what happened to speaking truth to power? Moreover, to stay silent means the PM can quite truthfully say "well, my independent adviser on ethics hasn't said I've broken the code".

end link