Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

DFL wrote:
    Not saying that, just saying the era of "fake news" and "lying press" and don't trust journalists is not new, and has come around again in a time when there are monopoly actors, and is a clear swing to the right and isolationism in the world.

If a dealer delivered your new car minus headlights, then delivered its replacement minus headlights, then delivered its replacement minus headlights, would you request another replacement, assume cars no longer needed headlights or go elsewhere?

It's not a case of not trusting journalists; it's a case of opening your mind but staying on guard, and having the same critical attitude to any source (e.g. the platforms of your 'monopoly actors'). On balance, I'm happier with freelance journalists; too often the salaried ones' belief in their independence of mind and questing spirit is a self-deluded product of their institutional cultures (the BBC's a good example; as Chomsky told Andrew Marr: 'You wouldn't be working here if you didn't believe that.')

As regards 'fake news', I find myself fact-checking the BBC's fact-checking service and finding it wanting. You can learn as much about the nature of a source from what it leaves out as from what it puts in.

But you'll have to explain what 'a clear swing to the right and isolation in the world' even mean, as I'm sure I don't know. And you'll need to define what you mean by 'right', too.

end link