Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I've started this thread really to get us another in the "...in turmoil" series.

On the other hand, according to Mr Sunak, politics is indeed broken and has been for the past 30 years (despite various forms of devolution). I daresay WGS agrees it's broken now at least, on the grounds that having two main parties barely a communion wafer apart is not exactly a meaningful choice.

Rishi is reported as saying "We've had 30 years of a political system which incentivises the easy decision, not the right one. Thirty years of vested interests standing in the way of change. Thirty years of rhetorical ambition which achieves little more than a short-term headline."

I'm not sure what he means:

1. Backbenchers have too much power, making difficult decisions (er) difficult? Doesn't mesh terribly well with the current administration's large majority.

2. The General Election cycle is too short, rendering projects with a long lead-time at risk from cancellation by a subsequent administration? Well, true enough I guess, though there could be mechanisms to protect them without extending the GE cycle.

Er, I think I run out at this point; I just don't understand 'incentivises the easy decision', 'vested interests' or 'rhetorical ambition'.

end link