Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Alex - you speak as if there is something wrong with aspiration and ambition. There is nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with wanting to be rich. Your definition of what you think most people want is plainly wrong. At the most simple level define a 'decent income' - you cannot and it would mean something different to everyone.

I earn what I earn and work hard for it and I would like more. A decent income? For me it is anything more than I get now, maybe £100k a year but I would love to double, triple that and I certainly would not turn down millions.... or even billions.... Anyone who says they would are liars.

At the end of the day we need successful businesses that go on to become big or 'mega' businesses and in so doing make their owners very rich, super rich. That ties up with human progress and is inbuilt in human nature.

There is nothing at all wrong in people getting rich and richer. Good luck to anyone who does.

I do not like the idea of the poor getting poorer but it is up to them to adopt a lifestyle and work ethic that enables themselves to do better. We as a society can and should provide a short term safety net and help people who fall on hard times get back on their feet and we can provide some basic needs for those who are long term sick or disabled and the elderly. Ultimately though we cannot save people from themselves and if they adopt lifestyle that condemns them to poverty then it is up to them to sort themselves out. One of our problems now is that society provides too much to a degree that benefits are a career choice for the lousy and lazy.

end link