Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

#3 & #4 were off topic but #2 is very pertinent I would suggest.

Earlier this month I was at a meeting addressed by Dr. Michael Spindelegger, Director General of International Center for Migration Policy Development and Former Vice-Chancellor of Austria.

Whilst I'm still awaiting the full transcript, he suggested that mass migration to and through Europe is one the key issues facing the continent. It has created new demographic and political realities.

In his own country Austria, the anti-immigration Freedom Party (FPO) entered a governing coalition in late 2017, making it the only western European country with a far-right party in government.

He referenced the Brexit vote, the showing of Le Pen last year, the unwillingness of countries in the East to have anything to do with refugee sharing and the forthcoming Italian elections.

He suggested that the objections from voters all over Europe to immigration policies imposed upon them by their Governments without any consultation, could lead to the fragmentation of the entire European experiment.

He suggested that the only solution was an effective economic response from the EU, emphasising the importance of investment in the countries that migrants leave, the need for intelligent policies that allow migrants to return to their countries, and the significance of developing skills in emerging labour markets.

He also suggested that a) it is unrealistic to expect to deport thousands never mind about the tens and indeed hundreds of thousands who have entered Europe illegally and that b) even when economies improve there is a ten year time lag before people stop using their improved wealth for other than trying to emigrate.

He also spoke of being in Sudan a few weeks previously where tens of thousands are crossing from Somalia, Ethiopia and Eritrea towards the Mediterranean coast, of what is happening behind the scenes in Libya and the push factors from Africa (Growing populations and lack of employment - the median age in Mali is 15.9!)

I honestly believe that if the Irish Government carry on with their Ireland 2040 plan relating to immigration (the rest of the plan is the usual Mom and apple pie guff about education, energy and improved public services) our ginger haired friends will give them a good slapping at the next election.

On the other hand, if half of Africa were to join them (obviously needed due to an ageing population etc etc) at least both parties could carry on blaming all their ills on hundreds of years of colonial exploitation by the Brits?

end link