Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Now here's a funny thing. Tucked away in today's usual Guardian whining about child poverty, Brexit doom and housing chaos, the latest figures from the ONS.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/aug/08/pensioners-living-in-golden-era-as-income-rise-outstrips-workers

It would appear that the AVERAGE gross income for a pensioner household soared to £29,000 in 2016 and that over the same period the gross income for working households doubled from £20,200 to £41,900.

In essence, as we all secretly know, unless we have spent all our spare money on new toys and foreign holidays and not invested in a pension scheme, been so useless and/or lazy that we are basically unemployable, chosen to have more children than we can afford to keep or married/shacked up with someone even more feckless than ourselves, in the words of Harold 'Supermac' Macmillan 'We have never had it so good'.

'That's all very well' I hear you say. But nobody can afford to buy a house. Conveniently forgetting that all houses are owned by someone, and presumably when they inevitably drop dead, someone will purchase it).

So here's the UK House Price to Earnings Ratio (which I note is trending DOWNWARDS)

Which admittedly looks bad UNTIL you look at B of E base rates (which being far too low, I would suggest are partially responsible for house price inflation plus the fact that personal savings are at an all time low?)

Which is why house sales and mortgages granted are still ticking over quite nicely thank you.

end link