Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

MORE JOBS AND MONEY FOR DOVER AND DEAL

Last week I held my second annual jobs fair at Dover Town Hall. It was an incredible success. Over 1,300 people came to the packed event, seeking new jobs and career opportunities. Over 30 businesses with vacancies to fill took stalls. The employers told me they were inundated with CVs. They told me the standard was really high and they expected to take on many of the people they met.

After last year's jobs fair, I was really keen to organise another event to do my bit to help get jobs for local people. It's great that local unemployment has fallen since the last election and is down nearly 20% in the past year. Yet that's not good enough for me. There is still so much more to do to repair the damage of the past. I have not forgotten that local unemployment rose a disgraceful 50% between 2005 and 2010.

It is to repair this damage that I have worked so hard to get the Hadlow Project at Betteshanger over the line. Readers will recall that £20m was spent in past times creating a business park there with no business. The Hadlow Project would create up to 1,000 new local jobs. I have long campaigned to get together the money to make it happen. So it was great news last week when the Coastal Communities Fund awarded £2.5m of public money. This will take the project another step forward. This is also why I have campaigned for reform of the port - to provide better quality, high skilled jobs for people from Dover & Deal.

I am passionate about apprenticeships. Apprenticeships are a key ladder to skills and opportunity. They give our young people more chances in life. There has been an astonishing 100% rise in apprenticeships locally - from 440 when I was elected to 880 now. This is really encouraging for the future of the skills and knowledge of our young people.

However, the best is yet the come. People often say the future is now in the East. We can't stop the rise of China and India. So let's just give up on the future of our nation and her people. I say there is no fate but that which we make. This was brought home to me visiting Multipanel in Eythorne last week. They are about to commission an assembly line to make hi tech aluminium panels. This line will see 70 jobs reshored from China. Yes you read that right. 70 new local jobs in the UK that are coming back from China.

We may be an old country with a long history. But we're not done yet. I believe in our economic future. I believe in what our nation and her people can do. Having a long term economic plan is building a recovery we can all be part of.

On a different note, I hope you will continue reading whilst I make a plea for sponsorship. This year I am taking part in the Deal Crocus Walk, to raise money for Breakthrough Breast Cancer. 1 in 3 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer at some point in their life. There are 12,000 new cases diagnosed every year. Breakthrough Breast Cancer are leading the charge in fighting back. They have inspired me to join this year's Crocus Walk to help them raise funds. The walk takes place on Saturday 5th April and goes from Walmer Castle to St Margaret's and back again. I would be so grateful for any donation you feel you can spare to support this worthwhile cause. It is really easy to donate - just head to my Just Giving page here http://www.justgiving.com/Charlie-Elphicke

Thank you so much in advance!

Charlie Elphicke MP

Had the above through from Charlie.
    We added the picture...its from a year or two back and shows Charlie Elphicke MP speaking during the debate on
    local government finance in The House.

end link