Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

This landed in my inbox this morning but still no notification that he is standing as an Independent or even at all. Copied but I have not bothered to read the waffle....

Delivering for our area

We’ve come such a long way together. Why would we want to return to where we were less than a decade ago?

Since 2010, record investment has been secured for the public services we all rely on. I have campaigned tirelessly for more jobs and money – because a secure job and being able to pay the weekly bills matters to us all.

In healthcare we’ve seen the new £26 million hospital built in Dover, while Deal Hospital was safeguarded after our strong local campaign. Now we also have a new medical school on the way, taking its first students next year. The UK’s first ever dementia village is due to open in Dover too. On top of all that, the record NHS investment secured in the new national funding deal means £350 million upgrades are planned for our major hospitals in east Kent.

School standards are up as well. Since 2010, some 27 local schools have improved their Ofsted ratings. I also fought for a new funding deal that will see our pupils get nearly 10% extra, meaning millions more for years to come. An official study recently put Dover and Deal in the UK top 10 for social mobility in both nurseries and primary schools – meaning more opportunity for our young people.

The campaign for the renewal of our area has helped create 7,700 new jobs, rising wages and more than £500 million of investment. Burlington House is down, with a £53 million cinema and shopping complex rising in its place. We’ve also got the new £26 million leisure centre and the £250 docks transformation, while the fast train sweeps into Deal and the villages all day, every day.

And we’ve worked to get our area’s voice heard at the very top of Government. We got the French authorities to dismantle the Calais Jungle. I am just as clear now on the need for them to take stronger action to stop people making dangerous journeys in small boats. Because everyone knows that letting the migrants in Calais into this country, as proposed by Jeremy Corbyn, only encourages more people trafficking.

We’ve fought for safer streets too. I campaigned in Parliament to secure £23.6 million extra cash for Kent Police from central government – an 8.1% boost. As a result, 380 new officers have been recruited across the county. From the latest intake alone, an extra 11 officers will soon be patrolling the streets of Dover and Deal.

Alongside the mum of a teenager who died from a deadly new drug, I also campaigned to secure “Robert’s Law”. This means tougher sentences for dealers of fentanyl. Deaths from it fell for the first time for years in 2018 – and our top cops at the NCA have heaped praise on the campaign.

It’s vital that we build on all this massive progress for our area – not go backwards. We need to get Brexit done so we can keep moving forward. Our best days are yet to come.

end link