Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

To reflect for a minute on the more practical aspects, what are people's expectations for the future?

My assumptions (far from certain, I know) are that Boris's obvious campaign to change the withdrawal agreement will be firmly rejected by the EU. I suspect that Boris already knows this but has to be seen to be making at least some attempt. I'm also assuming that the 'no deal' exit which will unavoidably follow will be rejected somehow by parliament. Therefore only 3 choices remain for our new PM - revoke article 50, call a 2nd referendum or call a general election.

I can't conceive how the first 2 choices would be countenanced by the new cabinet, so an early election seems a reasonable final assumption. Where would that leave our sitting MP, I wonder? Would the local party support him against the might of a revised central office, if the case arose? Would central office risk parachuting in a new candidate? How would all this affect our local voting?

Any local psephologists out there? At times like this, I miss the late Howard's input. I never met the chap but he could always be relied upon for a measured, informed and intelligent response.

end link