Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I'm sorry, Jan. This isn't personal but your argument is about as facile as our Grandad correspondent. I don't think the EU is the 'bees knees' as you like to put it. I did work for a bi-national company for many years and have spent working hours in Spain, Germany, Belgium, Holland and, of course, France. I have spent a working lifetime dealing with border controls, data transmission, and all aspects of the movement of goods and people from the UK to Europe and back again. Additionally, my wife is Anglo-Dutch and our son lives and works in Portugal. In short, I think I know Europe better than most. Certainly better than Dominic Raab who confessed to not even understanding Dover's importance as a port.

The EU has many faults. All of these could and should be addressed with the UK at its centre. As its most dominant player if you like. That is my stance. I get a lot of my influence not just from my career and current situation but as a 'war baby' whose parents gave a hell of a lot for European peace and realised that the days of empire were long one.

Yes - the majority of votes (by a wafer thin margin) agreed in 2016. They were lied to and misled throughout the campaign. We are now facing the reality as the 'sunlit uplands' metaphor fades by the minute. Yes - we are resilient. Now is the time to display that resilience by facing up to the fact that a bunch of grifters and charlatans sold us a false dawn. Sooner or later we will have to rejoin the EU. I doubt that we will ever enjoy the favourable terms that we have now.

end link