Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I don't know how to best resolve this issue. The heart of the problem is that we are in the middle of a global refugee situation which can only get worse. As I've said all along, we could always renounce our obligations under UNHCR (we'd be the first nation state to do so) and then we could pull down whatever drawbridges we like.

It's much more likely that the French will knock Le Touquet on the head. I know from my friends and former colleagues in the Nord-pas-de-Calais that there is strong political pressure for this. It's ironic that Cummings and co could well facilitate this if they give the French an excuse for tearing up international treaties unilaterally. Notice period? Sod that!

On the other had, there is a feeling that greater co-operation could allow the UK to process not only standard immigration checks but also asylum applications on French soil. But this too is fraught with complications of costs, subsistence etc.

The fact remains (yes, it's not guff) that things will get a whole lot more diificult if we depart the Dublin regulations without an agreement.

end link