Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

howard mcsweeney1 wrote:
    I presume you are referring to EU people coming here you when you refer to quality of life Bob but the latest figures show that nett migration is still high because of migration from non EU countries.

Yup. The Office for National Statistics said net migration of non-EU nationals in the year to June was 248,000 - the highest total in 14 years. Meanwhile, net migration of EU nationals was 74,000.

Personally I have had little problem with EU immigration per se. Common religion/values etc. Rarely blow up tube trains, wish to execute homosexualists or lop off their daughters' genitals. Why the Hell we are still letting in so many from the 'rest of the world', who are subject to Immigration control God only knows.

The total net figure at just over a quarter million immigrants a year means building for the population of Milton Keynes each year including all housing and services and infrastructure.

(Milton Keynes was first designated a 'New Town' in 1967 so it has taken 50 years to reach its present size)

The problem is the way we measure 'wealth' which usually is by GDP.

A country's GDP is a measure of consumer spending (C) plus business investment (I) and government spending (G) as well as its net exports, which is exports minus imports (X-M).

So if we import (for example) 20 million Chinamen who spend all day selling each other coffee (C) and the government builds roads, schools, housing to accommodate them (G) on borrowed money national GDP will increase massively.

Unfortunately you are up to your ears in Chinamen, your children are coming home from school speaking Cantonese and most of your green and pleasant land looks like down town Beijing but who cares, GDP is up, the stock exchange is booming and big business loves it.

end link