Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

It's crunch time now.

If I were the PM, and you know you are going to have to upset somebody, it would definitely be the right wing lunatics. So, I would maintain a (possibly even the) customs union and take the hit. The Ireland issue is resolved immediately and it has no impact, to my knowledge, on free movement. Remainers would scream that we could not do our own trade deals, but, the public don't really care about trade deals. They are too abstract to incorporate into everyday life so the PM would not be punished by the voter. However, she could say that free movement has ended. That would give the public want they really wanted (rightly or wrongly) and everyone would move on (out of Brexit fatigue if nothing else).

This is why I think we have no chance of getting what we want - Voters. The EU doesn't have to worry about keeping voters happy. That is why this is all a walk in the park for them.

end link