Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

As most of you know, I am a keen remainer and think the idea of leaving is bonkers. However, even I think it would be a poor show if Brexit were to not happen at all. That would be wrong and the public would quite rightly never trust politicians again, if indeed they ever did.

However, I think two things have happened recently to point towards a so called softer Brexit. The first, is the election result. Whatever the article in the Telegraph says - she pitched this as asking the people for a mandate for a so called hard Brexit. She didn't get it. That has totally muddied the water and the make up of Parliament clearly points to a more consensus based approach to negotiations.

The second thing is the total state of US politics. Things are absolutely off the chart bonkers in the States at the moment and to watch Trump govern by Twitter is absolutely horrifying and frankly, genuinely dangerous. It cannot have escaped the attention of the Government that the States, at the moment, cannot be relied upon for anything helpful and meaningful. As such, having a close alliance with 27 other EU countries, from a geopolitical standpoint, must be very appealing.

I think our strongest hand would be to send a cross party negotiating team to Europe - but a bloody good one. The moral authority of a cross party group would immediately blunt the Commission's attack that we are in chaos and would also protect both parties if it all fell to bits as there could be no finger pointing. We live in interesting times.

end link