Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Reginald Barrington wrote:
    "...I have never attacked a persons religious beliefs, people are welcome to believe in whatever deity they wish......

I will however be critical of a persons religion especially when it impacts on me.

Slight dichotomy between those two statements perhaps?

Anyway, onto me...

I was bought up indoctrinated into a certain denomination. What a bunch of hypocrites. Preaching love and tolerance but showing only disdain and (physically violent) oppression if I dared to question anything.

I'm old enough now to recognise that it was pretty much child abuse.

What else would you call slapping a minor in the face? Or physically restraining them for an hour when all they want to do is leave?

And that last one was the last straw.

I had made my objections to the place known and had been told that I didn't need to attend any more if I didn't want to (possibly because social workers got involved after that first slap).

My mum and granddad were so pleased and surprised when I actually volunteered, of my own accord, to attend that next Sunday. I can remember thinking like it was such an adult, mature decision from me. "I don't like this, but I know you do. I'd like to keep the peace". I felt so grown up. I made that decision to attend. I didn't have to.

And then I got there and was held in a vice like (I mean proper painful) grip for an hour by some insane nutter who thought she was some kind of god given matriarch figure , just because I wanted to sit next to my friend. "Let me go, let me go, just let me leave...". She wouldn't let me go. For a full hour.

Fourteen year old me swore he would scream the place down if he was ever made to go back.

It was all "for my own good" apparently!

Yeah right? I'm still cross! And they never got why. Which makes me even crosser.

I'm not anti religion but I am well pi**ed off (some would say damaged) by the way I experienced it.

Sorry for the rant but it feels so good to finally get that out!

end link