Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Courtesy of the Telegraph.

A police force launched an investigation after a man claimed he had been the victim of a hate crime when a branch of the Post Office refused to accept his Scottish bank note. Kent Police were called out earlier this month when 48-year-old Patrick Burgess accused postal staff of racism. He claimed the post office worker's refusal to accept the note amounted to a hate crime because it was based on nationality.

Mr Burgess was born and brought up in Scotland, but speaks with an English accent. An officer was asked to investigate the claim and it has been recorded for official purposes as a hate crime, which will feed into national statistics. The incident occurred on November 22 in the village of Walderslade near Chatham when Mr Burgess, who works for the Royal Mail, visited his local Post Office with his 12-year-old son, Daniel.

He asked staff if his son could deposit a Scottish £10 bank note that his aunt, who lives in St Andrews, had given to him as present, but was told it was not permitted. Mr Burgess said: "I was well aware that Scottish notes are not legal tender and shops do not have to accept them, but they are legal currency and therefore the Post Office should have accepted the note.

He added: "I asked if they would accept Euros, American or Australian Dollars. The cashier replied that they would. "I confirmed with her that the only notes they would not take were Scottish or Irish, to which she replied yes. In my opinion it's racist and it is a hate crime."Mr Burgess said: "I was angry at the time and put out a bit and so I went online to report it to the police. You are always hearing about hate crime and so that is what I reported it as. It was a bit tongue in cheek really and perhaps it was my sense of humour.

end link