Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Yes Asda is the only offer and I really do appreciate the effort being put in by so many, but still don't feel that anyone has justified why this is a good idea! Just because it's the only plan being presented doesn't necessarily mean that it is a good one. I look at the proposal for the redevelopment of the St James area but I don't really see regeneration. This is not town planning at any stretch of the imagination, this is merely exchanging one object for another. What is the brief here? I'd like someone to explain what the problems of this site are before telling us that this is the solution. If this is about putting something on the site that is better than what is currently there; then clear the site, lay turf, and plant some trees. This would also fulfil the 'better than what is there now' brief at a fraction of the cost.

So many of the people in Dover that dream of something else for this area ( many on this site) are clearly talking about schemes that evoke a sense of place, character and use. People want something that will bring new capacity to the town, something that supermarkets never have and never will. Creating 80 minimum wage jobs and undercutting all the shops in the town seems like an odd choice. Money is spent by the local customers and then never gets reinvested locally (the opposite of smaller businesses.) Where is the precedent for the current proposal? Where has this kind of development in a similar situation proved successful in the past?

Mixed use development is the way forward and the spaces you talk of being empty PaulB are populated by the people that live in the area. Victorian and Georgian proportions facilitate this very well in places like Brighton and areas of London. Newer interpretations of this idea are used throughout Europe, I can think of quite a few around the Republic of Ireland. Towns that provide capacity for change can't fail because at the very least we always need accommodation for our ever expanding population. Georgian houses are so useful for this reason, having very adaptable proportions; towns can be made like this too.

end link