Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Vic - I have pointed out that the record of every Labour Government has been the same over these issues. That cannot be said about every period of Conservative Government.

Recessions come and go, they are cyclical despite what the deluded Brown tried to claim with his end to boom and bust statement.

By changing the regulation of the banks in 1997 with his tri-partied system Brown sowed the seeds for the banking crisis that made the present recession much worse than it might have been.

These changes lead to unsustainable growth of domestic borrowing on credit cards and mortgages accompanying a housing bubble. Add that to his huge increased public spending and borrowing during the part of the economic cycle when borrowing should have been repaid, the seeds to create a Brown made disaster out of a world recession were well and truly sown.

Neither can you just blame the American and their sub-primes. A lot of that American sub-prime lending was by British Banks after they regulation changes let them loose. Also, not every country has been as badly hit by the sub-prime situation as the UK (even taking into account the relative to the importance of each country's financial markets to their economy)

A few years ago the present state of affairs were predicted by two journalists (left wing ones, not Tories) in a book called 'Fantasy Island'. I posted on the forum about it at the time. You might still find the book at Amazon. So I am not speaking in retrospect, in fact I have posted often over the years on the forum about Browns mismanagement.

end link