Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Indeed Bob - I for one would be very interested in the output from that masterclass.

I have been banging on about the need to change our view of what town centres are about for too bloody long now. As you have found, those in positions of power tend not to be listening and are still firmly wedded to retail as the solution, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

For example how about opening up market square, the discovery centre and the Roman lawn by demolishing the bland 1950/60s development that is there? this would create a huge public space in the centre of town, improve heritage and therefore visitor access. If this was coupled with a complete revamp of the Roman Painted House and opening up of the Roman Bathhouse and Saxon Shore Fort remains think about the flocks of tourists we could attract... Couple this with a couple of decent bars and eateries on the square with outside seating - Bob might even then be my uncle.

For those moaning about the loss of shops, if you dont use them you lose them.

The biggest culprits for the loss of the traditional high street are consumers and their choices and landlords rental requirements, followed by economics and a distant fourth local authorities failing to be imaginative with their discretion on business rates.

Finally, whilst I support any development of residential units in the centre of town, let's hope DDC refuse another HMO application; it is not the sort of development Dover needs or wants.

end link