Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

So why align with the Conservatives Roger? I too believe that education (whatever shape that takes) is the key to providing people with choice and freedom and always feel frustrated with the crazy systems we have to tolerate. The sad reality in this country is that what you achieve is largely down to what your parents have and do, babies do not have the choice to not be born into poverty. Conservative thinking preserves the devices that stunt social mobility and yet they still attempt to sell the idea that 'you can have it if you really want' For instance it is the Conservative party still largely support the Grammar school system that starts dividing society at the age of 11. This was used as a tool in ensuring that your route through education was similar to that of your parents, as it was in my fathers, and to an extent my own. I think all the schools in Dover do a great job (we have no Comprehensives), with what is essentially a tough demographic, but why this segregation has to take place I'm not sure. To make matters worse, if you have money you can pay for an education, something little to do with qualification and everything to do status and networking. People get great jobs because they can afford to go to the right place not because they work hard! In the words of Billy Bragg "just because you're better than me, doesn't mean I'm Lazy"

It also seems ironic that the stability offered to your family was partially based within a house provided by the state. There are still people out there, that are good parents bringing up their children in loving families but through the system they were born into cannot afford to buy (or even don't want to, which is fine). These people have to rent through private lettings increasing the wealth of a few, there are not enough Council Houses....why? Oh yes Maggie sold them all off, did she build more, no. Elements like social housing and 'Comprehensive' education offer people the start they need in a country riddled with privilege.

Yes you are comfortable, but there are plenty more comfortable than you and they have not worked for it at all (they are rich, privileged and lazy). A child born into a family of 6 today would be very lucky to have the stability of a council house to grow up in, just because of sever depletion started by Mrs T. That isn't interpretation, that is fact!

end link