Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

You are, of course, right: there are as many sectors of Islam as of Christianity. However, as with some sects in Christianity it is possible to trace the seeds of oppression in some areas, and the imposed dress code for women is in that category. It is simply that a) we are unable to challenge it effectively for fear of causing "offence" and b) few western people actually care enough to look into it - as you and I have done, and even when we scrutinise it there is much left open to interpretation!! Having also examined it, albeit from a western viewpoint, I do not accept that the roots of the dress code are religious, I do believe the women who "choose" to dress that way do so as the result of indoctrination and oppression - and clearly often the oppressed come to identify with their oppressors and sincerely believe that they are making a free choice when they are not. The matter of banning or not is obviously thorny, but on the whole, as has been pointed out, in this culture we have an expectation about communication and visibility, for good reasons. those living here need to accept and adapt. And I say this as one of the least dogmatic and racist people I know!!!

end link