Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Condolences Terry. Yes I feel its only a matter of time before the Dover Express goes the way of the Mercury. But it is such a shame in a town of Dover's significance that we cant have our two newspapers running their operation from here. Where did we go wrong? Did we treat the papers badly? Did we not buy them? Why is Folkestone or Deal a more important a location?

The problem with closures or national chain pullouts is that the shops that come to replace them are almost inevitably of a lower grade. An abundance of low level takeaways is usually the next step.

In fact there was an item about the wall to wall spread of cheap takeaways on the lunchtime news. One council is taking steps to ban the takeaway in North London. They attract fighting, drinking, drugging, and late night littering, all across the nation. A blight on the high street landscape. People no longer want to live where takeaways thrive and who can blame them. As premises they are cheap to open, cheap to maintain etc etc. Difficult to see at this time where any other section of the business community would risk a new venture right now here in Dover.

Of course speaking personally I love an occasional takeaway myself like those fish n chips from Castle St, but it must be done in good style, in fact just like the one in Castle St.

end link