Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I thought he was from Palestine. Another immigrant/import, of which most of us are. I think it's great!

I've been in a pub that had an extension on St. Georges day a good few years ago. I think this is another one off story that has managed to evolve into urban myth, promoted by the likes of the Daily Mail.

St. Patrick's day is always a good laugh especially if you like drinking, however it has been made culturally significant by the Irish and marketed well by a certain stout producer, the two things becoming synonymous. St. George, and his day for that fact, lacks this kind of identity. Although I think this is a shame, I find it strange (even as somebody that likes a drink) why we should try to place the ideas associated with St. Patrick onto St. George. Perhaps it is jealousy or just a lack of creativity, if you want a drink just go out on St. Patrick's day, why does St. George's day have to be the same?

Yes let's celebrate, I'm really happy with that. But what is it we do? Oz Clark and James May on their tour of Britain concluded by realising our national drink is Tea, a fair point as the other option, based on sales, would be lager (another import) or even alcopops. What exactly do we want from St. George's day? We all recieve the email/petition or on Facebook "MAKE ST GEORGES DAY A BANK HOLIDAY" But what are we going to do? most of our culture is imported, but if we are asking for just a day off to drink , exactly like the Irish, is it not just another assimilation, admitting we don't actually possess our own identity!

end link