Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I couldnt figure this out for a while...the bizarre sight of hordes of tourists and travellers making their way through the freezing temperatures along the seafront pulling their trolleys behind them. I thought initially a coach had broken down but eventually being sharp as a tack, I eventually figured it out when this strange phenomenon went on happening all day long.

"ah! the buses from the station have stopped running to the docks because of the gridlock" sez i to myself with a sharpness that just has to be admired. But because it was such an unusual sight I photographed it in the off chance that it had some relevence to something...

At one point on the main road, rather bizarrely...you had the strange sight of the eastern docks bound carriageway gridlocked solid and on the other side, the western bound carriageway was closed completely, with no traffic at all...then suddenly enter left, gangs and hordes of trolley/suitcase pulling travellers walking along the centre of the abandoned carriageway heading for the docks. A Weird sight somehow.

They no doubt chose to walk on the centre of the road hundreds of 'em because the pavements were unuseable having not been gritted...even yesterday the pavements were an ice rink, even in the shopping precinct of central Dover...you would think somebody would think of those shoppers, me included, and give them a break, and put a bit of grit in the shopping area and on pavements generally.

Top picture was taken yesterday, bottom one the day before. It was the old story of the tortoise and the hare...the tortoise in this case would have made it to the Docks first.

end link