Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

The DVD of this Sky TV series is now out and I received a copy from Amazon today.

I just spent 10 minutes over lunch sampling the first episode where Kemp, almost as soon as he arrives in Afghanistan, goes out on a 3 day patrol with 5 Scots, the Canterbury based Argyl & Sutherland Highlanders.

This is no glossy Hollywood gung ho movie, this is real life and its what our troops are doing daily and you cannot help but admire their courage and supreme professionalism.

Within half an hour of the patrol starting Kemp had bullets whistling by his ears and was under fire also from RPG rocket launchers. He was crawling in a muddy ditch advancing with the troops TOWARDS enemy fire to outflank them. It was quite the most astonishing 'reality tv' I have ever seen. At any moment he, or the NCO who as with him could have be shot or blown up right there on camera, Kemp was facing exactly the same risks as our troops face every day in the front line. The calm of the troops, sat resting, while bombs exploded around them was amazing, none of the hysterical 'drama' Hollywood producers like to portray in war films.

Reading the comments made by serving soldiers on ARRSE, Ross Kemp has earned their respect for what he does and that really does say something. They would be the first to pour scorn if there was anything faked or pretence about the programme.

I recommend getting the DVD, all the more so because very one sold generates a payment to the Army Benevolent Fund and the Royal Navy Benevolent Trust. This is a must see to understand why our troops deserve all the support and admiration we can give them.

end link