Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I was reading this thread with some interest - though it was difficult to know exactly what was happening. Sue said "a motion will be put re Councillors wearing their robes" and then later she said the motion was defeated. But no-one actually said what the motion was - to force councillors to wear robes, or to say they didn't have to. So I delved into the council minutes and it seems that Cllr Lamoon was putting forward a proposal to say that councillors should always wear robes on specific civic occasions, Mayor-Making, Zeebrugge Raid commemorations, Remembrance Sunday etc. I assume some councillors don't want to wear robes, and therefore, it seems, the proposal was defeated.

The thread then went on to discuss the Mayor-Making ceremony itself and whether or not it is a waste of money. Again, no-one actually said how much it cost. They seemed more interested in scoring political points and discussing hats. So I looked into the council documents again, and it seems the Mayor-Making costs £2,400.

That seems quite a high figure for one evening of civic ceremonial, even though one of the town council's main functions is to maintain civic traditions. Perhaps people might like to have a serious discussion about whether this is too expensive or not.

If it is felt that the cost is too high, surely the councillors can raise the issue at a council meeting and put forward suggestions as to how economies can be made. They are, after all, the ones who make the decisions.

I look forward to reading sensible comments.

end link