Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Just to get my bit in as this is something that has always amused me, although I appreciate this thread is about the job of the groundsman.

I visit River quite a bit, my grandparents and great grandparents buried in the ground of the church. I also enjoy the Abbey very much, especially with my children; it really is a lovely part of Dover. Every time I pass the sign that says 'drive carefully through the village' I laugh out loud. Village is a real stretch of the imagination, it's Dover! Only due to the topographic nature of Dover is it possible that an area such as this would not be consumed by the natural sprawl of a town. Is Elms Vale a village? it has flowers and trees too! Once upon a time River was a village, but then once upon a time Deptford was a town outside London. It is this resistance to change that seems to be a recurring factor around here!

It does affirm my outlook on social mobility in Dover. River for some reason is still upheld by some as the top end. It comes just after being able to afford a brand new car and just before an extension that serves no real spatial purpose other than a way to have more than your neighbours. "River is a Village" is just like when people say they live in a 'semi-detached'; when in reality it is 'end of terrace'

end link