Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Further insights into Bill Pertwee, a welcome addition to the above...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/tv-radio-obituaries/10082565/Bill-Pertwee.html

A little more meat for his bones, from his nephew James...

"I have fond memories of my uncle Bill Pertwee from when I was a child. As a member of the Round the Horne team, he was at the forefront of radio comedy in the late 1950s and early 60s. In those days, he lived in a large rambling Victorian villa in Hove, East Sussex, which had seen better days and which he was gradually doing up as money became available (he was a great DIY man). He named it Pertwee Towers.

There, Bill presided over a slightly anarchic menage consisting of his wife, Marion; her former husband and his current partner who stayed from time to time; Bill's Brazilian mother; his Scottish mother-in-law; and usually several out-of-work actors (described as "resting"), dossing down on various floors. There were also two large mongrel dogs, Bilko and Buster, of which he was inordinately fond.

He had an ancient Austin 7 called Geraldine, in which he took me and my sister for drives on the South Downs. The house was always filled with hilarity and people coming and going, hailing each other as "dahling" and "sweetest heart". You never knew who might drop by: Kenneth Horne, Kenneth Williams, maybe Roy Hudd or Spike Milligan, all of whom were good friends.

Many years later, Bill could never quite believe how lucky he had been in his career and, yes, he did put it down to luck rather than talent. He recently said to me: "Nobody's rumbled me yet and I don't think they will now." In the event, nobody ever did."

end link