Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Captain Haddock wrote:
    Fotumites might be interested:-
    https://sremg.org.uk/RlyMag/CoastErosionWorksInFolkestoneWarren.pdf

(I must confess that in my ignorance I used to think the concrete 'platform' was something left over from WW2 defences)

As youngsters we used to play down the Warren and I can remember the concrete apron being constructed in the late 40’s early 50’s (?).

There was a gnarled tree with interlocking branches shaped like a large nest which was approximately 200 metres from the work site. From there we would pitch large chunks of wet clay at the workers who would, when they discovered our hide, would return even larger chunks!

We used to have a good supply of water oozing from the cliffs to make our missiles, so any water damage to the concrete apron now and the tunnels deterioration is no surprise with the cliffs on one side and the incoming tides on the other.

The railway line was a good currency converter too and the weight of the trains on the coins we put on the rails would serve to to increase the size of a halfpenny to a larger one penny piece which some slot machines at the Rotunda would accept.

end link