Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Captain Haddock wrote:
    Not that old argument please Ray!

It's a bit like the 'We need more immigrants since we have an aging population so 'obviously' we need more 'workers' paying taxes to pay for their health care and pensions'.

Unfortunately the newly imported workers eventually become an aging population whereupon 'obviously etc.

The sensible answer is more automation with fewer people wasting their (and my) time by being behind check-outs in supermarkets, counters in banks and stuff like picking crops or working in Amazon (warehouses!) fulfillment centres I would suggest.

The future is with us - it's just badly distributed .........................

Fortunately Dover is ahead of the game with such as the FastTrack bus route ................

I would hate to see check-out staff disappear being disabled they help pack my shopping and the good ones give many others someone to actually chat to, not something a robot can do.

The immigrant might end up as a doctor, nurse, carer or any of the other jobs where real people are needed. Their taxes will help for when they reach retirement the same as our years of taxes help us now we are old.

end link