Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I like it, Paul. Thanks very much for that. Onwards and upwards.

I hope that no misguided 'rebranding' goon goes and removes the "Dover Indoor Markets" sign from above. It retains a certain rustic charm; and the trend is not to rebadge old buildings when they assume a new use. I'm thinking in particular of examples such as that gallery at the top of the Old High Street in Folkestone, which retains its original "Mence Smith" shop logo...and there are innumerable examples of this sort of thing in east London's edgiest arty districts - for instance, a very chi-chi bar in Bethnal Green retains its 1970s "Jaguar Shoes" shopfront, nodding to its previous incarnation as a discount footwear store.

So here's to "Dover Indoor Markets" galleries - good stuff. We should remember that improvements to the "public realm" (feel free to shoot me for using such dreadful council jargon) will greatly benefit the lot of everyone, such as the old lady having a breather on that bench in the picture. The poor old girl is probably sick and tired of traipsing round a bombsite where the once-nice King Street/Queen Street/Bench Street/New Bridge used to be. Dovorians of all ages (but especially the older generation) deserve much better. And blimey, the town really does have SO MUCH POTENTIAL!

"Winmore Enterprises" reinvented as a trendy gastropub, anyone? Er, perhaps on this occasion I'll steer clear of the bookies...

But let's all keep thinking imaginatively leftfield in terms of Dover's regeneration. Let's inject some humour and fun into the proceedings. It's all about perception.

Allez Douvres!

Andy

end link