Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

The town does need nightlife but lets be very clear what we are talking about and for who.

The comments on the 'Club Karma' facebook group are from people that used to use Nu-age. The general feed back is positve about a new club but points out that the service that it provided met the need: Drinking, dancing and fornication. This is the reason it was never 'done-up' because people simply didn't care. A huge number of the people who would like a new club in Dover (and the ones who will spend their money and keep the place open) will want these needs met before wanting a more. VIP lounges are all very good but are not cost effective, especially in such a small club. The club must be representative of the spending habits of those using it.

Flash, stylish clubs do have a place and I wish this could be one, but you can't be one at the same time a a sweaty dance spot. I'm sure (and hope) the new owners have looked at all of this and got the balance right!

As for offering this transistional group of young people (around 16)something to do, bowling alleys and Cinemas do not stop them trying to (and in most cases succeeding) in getting into pubs and night clubs. I was 16 when I first went into Images, and my group saw this as a better use of a saturday night than standing in Pencester drinking cheap cider. Purely because it was so expensive compared to our 'income' we had to drink responsibly and act responsibly through fear of not getting thrown out. Let me make myself clear, this is not 'right' but is a struggle that has, and always will go on between 16 year olds and the system!

You realise when taking 16 year olds bowling that they lose interest half way through the second game and start playing on the arcade machines. You go to Margate or Ashford and you see groups of teens around the arcade areas, the alleys being used by families and large numbers of pensioners(both groups that can drive!). The same can be said for the ice rink at gillingham, next time you go have a good look!

end link