Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

A subject that always interests me...

Google are to release a new operating system called Chrome, which is lined up to take on Microsoft Windows as direct competition. Already announced are a wealth of amazing security features, great usability, and (out of nowhere) a whole list of third party hardware support.

Many of you know that I'm a resolute Microsoft hater and this is very welcome news. Apart from Apple and a few Linux users hovering on the fringes, Microsoft has never had any real competition to speak of in the PC world. Apple doesn't count, as the Mac OS only works on the Mac, so in truth it's been Microsoft vs. Linux. Zero competition in other words.

I believe that Google have been developing their Chrome for quite some time now, and if you ask me they've waited for the right moment to pounce. I believe that moment is Windows 7. Not even on public release yet, Windows 7 is already being slammed as a cheap con re-release of Vista with the bugs fixed. Sound familiar? Yep, the previous 6 versions of Windows are just big bug fixes.

It's always been a pretty interesting battle between Google and Microsoft. Their fight to dominate search technology has always been bloody and bitter, but as we all know Google have it in the bag. Can they do the same with their new operating system? Can this be game over for Windows? Will the landscape change from "Mac or Windows" to "Mac or Chrome"?

The prospect of Google dominating the OS market does bother me though. They already dominate the online world with their search engine, and if they dominate the desktop as well then they could potentially be bigger and worse than Microsoft. I get the sense that you will be hooked into Google servers all the time, even when you're typing a simple letter, with keyword activated ads popping up to bother you. I predict big spyware problems and dodgy privacy terms. Google are well known for being the biggest harvester of data and having utter disrespect for our privacy. We'll all have to get into G-Mail, Google search will be built-in limiting our choices, and all of our online (and indeed offline) activity will be logged, stored, and processed for advertiser's benefits.

So, while it is very welcome news that Windows finally has real competition - serious enough to blow a hole in its hull - I do sense it is a case of "out of the frying pan into the fire". I won't be leaving Mac for a while. I'll be watching with interest...

end link