Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

It will be interesting to keep a count. Hopefully politicshome will keep up their sleezebuster survey so we can judge the extent of the problem.

Reading a few more blogs and thinking back I do wonder whether we are all getting a bit too self-rightous over all this.

For a short time when a teenager I worked for an electronics company and it was general knowledge among staff and management that those experienced trained employees who travelled from site to site claimed for 'digs' instead of mileage because it was higher, but drove into work every day, car sharing to save costs. The 'digs' allowance was a hell of a lot higher than the mileage allowance. I wonder if any of those people are among those who are outraged by what the MPs have done, its the same thing in essence.

I also wonder whether any of the journalists who are being so indignant have themselve taken their wife or mistress out for a meal and then claimed it as a business expense, eating with a 'source'.

How many people, working for an employer with the availability of an expense account have never at any time, 'massaged' their expenses. very few I would warrant.

How many self-employed have been careful about the expenses they declare. In a regulated industry I have to be careful what I do but I am sure I have made the odd mistake that hasnt been picked up. That said there are things I could claim for that I dont bother with (bottled water for the client coffee machine along with cream, milk and sugar for instance).

How many people in many different ooccupations have not declared their tips.

Where revenue are denied tax it remains a matter of public money in exactly the same way the abuses of Parliamentary expenses is public money.

I am not excusing the behaviour of our Parliamentarians. They should be setting an example and not have their snouts in the trough, I am just trying to place a slightly different perspective on things.

end link