Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

When I lived in London, just after Jack the Ripper I think it was, there were so many diverse communities all rubbing along together fine. It was a fabulous experience and an opportunity to meet so many different people....and it was civilised mainly because the incoming people respected the host nation and culture and didn't try to impose themselves but focussed on integrating and giving back to the community while discreetly maintaining personal identities. Very few people appeared to feel the need to try to convert or dogmatise and there was very little hostility between communities - partly because the potentially hostile communities had the sense to live further away from each other!! There were, as I remember it, not many Catholic Irish living next door to proddy Irish!! Ditto Jews and Palestinians. And in fact, the need to co-exist in a host community appeared to have a braking effect if anything.

end link