Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I understand that 52 pubs a week are closing, whether that's due to the recession or smoking ban I don't know, but together, they are bad news.

In the not too distant future there'll only be chain pubs - Wetherspoons, Whitbread places like Premier Inn's Marine Court or the Plough.

Shepherd Neame tenanted pubs have to buy their drinks direct from them and drinks are more expensive to them than other non-shep pubs buying from Shepherd Neame, so they are at a distinct disadvanatge to start with.

Free-hold pubs can buy their beers cheaper, but it seems nowhere cheaper than Wetherspoons.

Did you know that before Christmas, the Police went round to all the pubs (across Kent - each of course in their own patch) asking that the pubs act responsibly and don't offer drinks at silly prices - some took notice, some didn't; it wasn't enforceable, just good common sense.
    Earlier in the New Year, Wetherspoons (all of them I understand) were offering pints for £1.00 (99p).

This will only encourage people out of the decent, character pubs and into places like the 8 Bells. No wonder there's so many closing and not just because of the smoking ban.

Good local pubs like Blakes in Castle Street offer a good range of real ales and their cheapest is (just) £2.00 per pint.

Roger

end link