Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Chris - all those disappeared from the UK long before the word and concept of conservation was invented. You had might as well have also mentioned sabre toothed tigers and wooly mammoths. Not really a point relevant to this thread.

Howard - grouse are eaten. I see no problem about having fun hunting while out and about catching your foodstuffs (or killing pests like foxes come to that!)

PaulB - the 'sensitive 21st century'.... You are talking really more about us cosseted and excessively soft townies, some people do still know what the real world of the countryside is all about and it is not this Beatrix Potter fantasy that so many seem to have.

You are right though about the breeding of grouse for the shooters. That goes hand in hand with the conservation of their moorland habitat. As for pidgeons, its the seagulls I would like some volleys fired at and I am not joking!

Now then PaulB - I also detected a touch of the old class war in your post. It didnt work in Crewe and it doesnt work in this context either. I can immediately think of 3 of my clients who are likely on the morrs right now. One is a plumber, another an ex sergeant in the Queens Regt who is now a self-employed sign maker and the other is an insurance agent. The insurance man is the nearest to your idea of a shooter as he is an ex farmer, but knowing him, no it really doesnt work there either... Shooting is not just for the rich and you dont have to be rich to participate, I know people who spend more on ciggies than these three spend on their shooting hobby.

end link