Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Chris wrote:
    Isn't it supposed to primarily serve people moving into the Whitfield expansion? It's strange to give an example based on someone outside the main user group, unless you're looking for a bad outcome .

I expect the new roads are to keep journey times as short as possible in future when the service caters for 12/13k residents. Could something similar be done on existing roads? Yes, probably...but given how congested the town already sometimes gets (especially from River/Whitfield direction) maybe a new route for public transport isn't such a bad thing.

So why call it the Dover FastTrack (picky I know but true ) On a serious note, in a conversation with an unnamed on here (but known to me) DDC councillor. I was told to think of the benefits of me being able to get to the leisure centre or Tesco quickly by public transport when I was asking how this benefitted me living where I did! I also remember all Dover residents being encouraged to "have their say" with questionnaires about the plans? So it appears that I AM supposed to be in the user group!

Chris wrote:
    Existing Whitfield can justify a bus route and the new builds will be 2 or 3 times that size - why do you think very few people will use it? Not sure what you mean about picking up the tab - I'm not aware that central government was ever supposed to be paying ongoing running costs?

I don't know if it will be used or not, but given that every new housing estate seems to be swelling with several cars per household, apart from commuting, I really don't think the inhabitants will use it. I also knew that running costs were not going to be ongoing from central sources, I merely hope that my council tax doesn't rocket to pay for it when it fails.

As I said, time will tell who was right, so for the time being, let's agree to disagree

end link