Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Gary39 wrote:
    [QUOTE="Captain Haddock"] Dover is already losing the green belt around it.. The Western Heights should be treated as a separate development and not used as a bribe for Farthingloe....

Personally I think the idea of a hotel on Western Heights is dumb and I am against it. Hotel and conference centre indeed!

Who the Hell is going to come for a conference in Dover when the rest of the world is into video-conferencing, and technology demands less and less face-time. Sure we needed conferences before e-mail when the only way to communicate was by letter or telephone and you needed some guy with a flip chart but get real. IF I'm going to arrange a bit of a tax reducible jolly for clients/staff I'll go for the middle of a city with a bit of night-life or somewhere out in the countryside NOT on a cliff top above a busy port.

Stayed last week 4 nights in Grand Hotel Scarborough (owned by Britannia Hotels who own Hotel Burstin in Folkestone) which use to be the biggest brick built hotel in Europe. Reduced to cheap coach tours (me), DSS in basement, weddings (and civil unions!) for a selection of tattooed land whales. If you look at the Wiki page about it even lists the regular outbreaks of food poisoning - seriously **

Just look at what's happened to Hotels along the whole of the South Coast.

People will pay top dollar to stay in the Dorchester or the Savoy, otherwise it's Travelodge/Premier Inn where the expansion is and the profits being made. The middle ground has had its day.

I'm not making 'cheap shots' at Dover.

Dover has probably more potential for improvement than any town I can think of. Unfortunately, having lived in the district for almost 40 years, at every single opportunity they have to improve they have buggered it up, right from the idiots from the Council and DHB insisting that the M20 came through an area of outstanding natural beauty splitting the town from the sea front instead of coming in through Denton/Whitfield opening up huge tracts of low grade agricultural land for warehousing, parking, freight forwarding etc etc.

** I knew exactly what the stay in Scarborough would be like and thoroughly enjoyed just how bad it was in a post-modernist ironic way.

end link