Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

A degree of schadenfreude here: a former Conservative councillor, involved with planning at District level, objects to planning when it directly affects him. Maybe, Mr Richardson, you now understand how planning blights people's lives on both sides of the divide, whether permission be approved or denied.

The Farthingloe development is taking place on a former industrial site, one that still bears the marks of that use, so to describe it all as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty is quite plainly wrong. Dover needs extra housing to generate a greater footfall, only then will firms and retail look at Dover as a viable place to invest in. The jobs this will create locally (in the short term) will benefit our brickies, chippies, sparkies and plasterers, longer term - well we'll have to see.

Having said that, the intensity of the development is concerning: 300 odd houses would be reasonable, 500 odd seems like an awful lot of pressure to put on the western edge of Dover. The levels of traffic down Folkestone Road concern me, especially at the pinch point with Elms Vale Road, again we'll have to keep an eye on developments.

Whilst the degree of money being made available for the Western Heights can only be good, what will the effect be on the equally historic Citadel Battery area? I can't help but think that vandalism will increase to the Citadel Battery and Farthingloe HAA site, being at the top of the hill overlooking the development.

Once completed, I hope that the western boundary of Dover for development is fixed at Farthingloe Farm, further development along the valley would be unacceptable, being totally and historically 'green field'.

On balance, I think the CGI development is good for Dover, some will be affected no doubt but in this instance they'll have to 'take one for the team' - the greater good of Dover is at stake here.

end link