Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

A couple of points:

(1) If ASDA did pull out, would it be the end of the world? I have heard plenty of comments along the lines of 'this is not what we need' - it would offer an opportunity to rethink the development.

(2) On a completely different note, it seems to me Dover's education system is one of the town's major problems. I wonder whether on balance the grammar schools help or hinder the town - and similar places in Kent. Sure, it provides a good education for the 25% or so who make it - but how many of those stay in the town?

And what does the failure to make grammar school do to the remaining 75%? Would they emerge better qualified and skilled from a comprehensive system? Does the currect set up leave them short changed in terms of skills, self worth and life prospects?

Moreover I see SKC's days are numbered - quite rightly if it is letting its students down. If whatever replaces it improves the skills base, let it happen.

And on that score, I hope the sometime-mooted idea of a nautical college for Dover is followed up. Maybe a branch of Christchurch College?

end link