Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Ross, I spent eight years on DDC wasting my time trying to get an explanation of what was being done (the farce of millions of pounds of public money being wasted on St James/Dover Rapid Bus Transport etc) and laughing at drawings on the back of envelopes of cable cars and land-bridges as the superannuated lunatics look at what is successful elsewhere and think transplanting it to Dover with totally different demographics, physical geography and location will be the magic sauce for Dover, and trying to point them in what I thought was the right direction.

Dover has more potential than almost any town I can think of in the UK and the solution lies in three words - history, history and history.

THAT is Dover's USP.

Bath has the Romans, York the Vikings, Battle has 1066, and other packed tourist destinations are thronged on the back of a snapshot of a short period of time.

Dover has thousands of years of continuous history you trip over on every corner from the little visited Bronze Aged Boat, little visited Roman Painted House, little visited Maison Dieu to the little visited Drop Redoubt to name but a few.

Meanwhile at TripAdvisor's No1 Kent attraction Dover Castle there are over 1/3 million visitors a year who have never heard of any of this and only ever visit Dover itself if they take a wrong turn on the SatNav.

The way forward is for National Trust, English Heritage, Dover Museum, Painted House, Transport Museum and all of the others to get together and start marketing Dover's history as an entity, a place to immerse oneself in the nation's history, far too much to do in one day.

(BTW I'm NOT knocking anyone or anything BUT if you honestly think I'm going to join the rest of the muppets admiring the emperor's new clothes when we all know in our hearts that he is stark-bollock naked - forget it)

end link