Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

The Nasty Party is back, sneering at food banks and those who use them
    First they peddled the Big Society, now the Tories bad-mouth these community projects...

"The latest figures from the Trussell Trust show that the demand for food banks is rapidly increasing. More than 350,000 people, between April and September this year, received a three-day food package of emergency staple sustenance. This is three times more than during the same period last year. David Cameron should, the Trussell Trust says, urgently look at this.

Another bleak problem I'd advise him to examine and quash is the growing, frankly shameful, vocal hostility within his party and supporters - Michael Gove, Lord Freud, Edwina Currie - to food banks themselves. It's incredible that a party which peddled notions of a Big Society now sneers when communities work together to be charitable, generous and empathic, to bring light, to stop hunger pains, to shove cheap tinned soup and budget brand cereal into the mouths of those without.

Using food banks is a last resort, they're the opposite of where one wants to be in life, rock bottom. This humiliating rigmarole of throwing oneself upon the mercy of strangers, signing the forms and queuing in return for a bag of dry pasta and some loo paper is not where those 350,000 people chose to be - as if they were a bit bored with the charcuterie selection down at Lidl.

The Trussell Trust also said some that recipients of emergency food supplies are so poor they're returning the tinned foods that requires cooking because they can't afford the power to heat the food up, which reminds me of that Jennifer Aniston line in Friends, "I really thought I had hit rock bottom, but today it's like rock bottom, 50 feet of crap and then me"..."

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-nasty-party-is-back-sneering-at-food-banks-and-those-who-use-them-8884442.html

end link