Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

DT1 - before 1985 the 'pedestrianisation' consisted of concrete blocks put down onto the road tarmac to restrict traffic access and it was like that for several years prior to 1983. Make no mistake the pedestrianisation works were a huge step forward. It is easy for you to critisise it but I spent a long time with traffic engineers at a meeting in the late 80's trying different traffic schemes, with maps and models (as TS Chairman), to work out how to further restrict access, with the bit between Pencester and the old Woolies site the main concern. What we have now is the best and most practical solution as could be found at the time. The bus routes would have had to be changed, for one thing to make that one better. Access to the telephone exchange is another issue as well. It was a far more difficult development than you might imagine. I learnt a lot from that about what has to go into such schemes.

I am not going to go into the various other items one by one, these have been discussed ad-nausium in the past.

It is the easiest thing in the world to make the various critisisms you have made without having to produce workable solutions. The fact is that everyone, literally everyone, knows how to do it better than those who actually do the job. Its a fact of life and always will be whoever make the decisions. I remember when I did the same as you before I got first elected in 1983!

If you were in the same position, with the same facts at your disposal, chances are you would have come up with exactly the same solutions and it might now be me now making the same critisisms you are, if I was not actually involved.....such is life.

end link