Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

So much passion and wisdom in these posts. They are a pleasure to read (apart from the ludicrous suggestion that you have to have lived in Dover all your life to be able to express a valid comment).

I moved here in 1982 but lived in Folkestone/Hythe from the 60s. I got the impression some time ago that the town's development was never coherent, being (as it seemed) a dual, but unconnected, endeavour between DDC and DHB.

The latter, with its trust port status, has always been effectively unaccountable to nobody. How Sir Jeffrey Stirling was hell bent on privatising them will never be appreciated by anyone outside the P&O boardroom in the late 80s. Unfortunately for him, Maggie finally met her demise and his political influence went with her.

As for the former, it strikes me that they have been more concerned with the well-being and development of Deal, Sandwich and the villages than they have been with Dover town. Political influence? I don't know and I'm quite happy to be shot down in flames. How many councillors actually live in the town? My first exposure to them was the Farthingloe planning debacle (my cause celebre, I know) but I was staggered when I fully understood what a cynical and corrupt episode that was. The amount of taxpayers money spaffed on that piece of cronyism would have paid for a nice new town centre toilet block if that was what people wanted!

end link