Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Actually, it's not a case of some rent is better than no rent, because if Landlords reduce their rent, it also reduces the value of their property portfolio and that is one thing they want to keep high.

Many Dover properties are subject to almost London-rated rents and are far too high for the level of trading they are doing. Business-rates - or NNDR, are another big bane of a small business owner. If anyone could wave a magic wand and get either, or both of these reduced, they'd be voted in as PM, let alone Dover Business Support Manager.

I do think there needs to be an agreement to lower rents and rates and give small independant traders help, but I do believe all traders (large or small) need a level playing field and they're not getting one.

I don't know if it's possible or even legal, but to get new businesses opening up here, there should be a relief period of say 5 years, where the rent and rates are 50% of normal, then increase by 10 % each year; this would give the businesses time to grow and become better businesses and gradually as they make more money, they could afford to pay a little more too.
    At the very least, they'd be given a fighting chance.

The Town itself needs sprucing up - from run-down buildings, to closed down buildings; from weeds and dead flowers to bright colourful flowers and plants; from banners across the road telling us what's coming up next, to restoring pride in the Town.

Reading the Express yesterday about La Via Romana and the aggravation he's experienced, it's no wonder businesses aren't doing well. On this very point, the DPAC phone would have worked very well and what about the "manned" CCTV ? that's supposed to be operated during daylight hours and this offence was during day-light hours, so why wasn't it picked up ?

Roger

end link